Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Day 40: Perspective

Life is often a frustrating, unpredictable animal.  While at work today, I received some awful news about one of my best friends: someone I grew up with and love dearly.  I won't publish too many details, but in short-- she has a family history of cancer which has possibly now manifested itself in her.  Cells that were initially regarded as harmless have now progressed to the point where she requires an operation to remove them.  Though it was caught early and not widespread, this news is terrifying.
She and I spoke nearly every day up until a few days ago: we have always been very open and supportive of one another.  Lately I sensed that she had been less responsive but I never expected to hear anything like this.  I was in shock.  I'm still in shock!  Someone my age, so young and so close to me?  Unbelievable!  I'm floored.
She, two other friends and I form a close group of four that has been together for the majority of our lives.  Although we all scattered to different high schools and colleges across the country, we are never out of contact.  We support, listen, and care for one another deeply throughout our varying experiences with life:  I would be absolutely lost without them!  Upon hearing the news, we all called each other to discuss our friend.  We concluded that the most we can do is offer our utmost love and support, as we are uncertain as to what the future holds for her.
She was with me all throughout my own recovery, hanging out with me frequently though I was all puffed up and unable to talk.  She's the first friend I saw after surgery and the first I visited after my bands came off.  Every step of the way she's been with me, as I will be for her now.
My own issues, meanwhile, pale in comparison.  I voluntarily accepted the risks and consequences of this surgery, a privilege she is unable to have.  It has really put this whole process in perspective.
A statement becoming more and more true each day: the only constant in life is change.  Our greatest skill lies in acceptance, adaptation, strength, and the ability to support the ones we love.

No comments:

Post a Comment