Thursday, July 12, 2012

Day 27: Insurance Worries

Wrestling with insurance coverage is a topic central to most other jaw surgery blogs I've seen, and I realize I haven't talked about it at all!  Initially, we encountered a lot of trouble trying to get my insurance to cover my surgery.  My secondary health care plan denied coverage on the basis of... nothing.  Seriously, nothing.


Wait what?

Bottom line: the second highlighted bit that says orthognathic surgery jaw alignment is covered.  I guess what happened is that whoever reviewed my case did not understand anything, and thought I was getting jaw surgery as treatment for sleep apnea.  My dad hastily wrote an appeal to this decision, stating that I what I was getting was orthognathic surgery, a functional necessity that should be covered under insurance.  This morning, I received this letter: 


Covered -yay!


Phew, that saved a couple thousand dollars!  Surgery's still not free, and my parents had to pay a deductible, but this sure helped a lot.  Insurance companies are annoying things-- I'm so fortunate to have parents in the medical field who know how to deal with them!

3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Can you post what your dad said in the letter. I would like to see it since I am going through with the same issue with my insurance.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I don't have an exact copy of the letter, but the best way to go about this is to talk with your surgeon as they have tons of experience with these kind of issues. All my dad did is point out that my surgery was in fact orthognathic surgery, not something to correct sleep apnea as they mistakenly thought. Because they had stated that orthognathic surgery was covered, the insurance company had to include it in my plan!

      Delete
  2. Fight for what you believe is right! It’s a good thing that your parents know what to do or else your health insurance will be put to waste. Anyway, how are you now? I hope you’ll make a fast recovery with your orthognathic surgery jaw alignment.

    -Barry Bates

    ReplyDelete