Monday, July 23, 2012

Day 37: Breakable

"Have the courage to be imperfect."  I read this bit of inspiration on a friend's Facebook status (hi Claire if you happen to be reading this!) and began to rethink my post I wrote a few days ago.  Using this recovery time to begin to pick apart my other imperfections is definitely not the way I wanted to approach this situation.  Accepting exactly who and what you are is so essential to being happy, even in a time of these confusing, frustrating changes!

Now that I'm gaining more and more mobility in my jaw, I've been doing my best to ignore my splint and try to eat normally.  At the same time, I'm paranoid that the chewing I've been doing will somehow fracture my palate!  There are so many activities, such as riding a bike, that are now inaccessible for fear of breaking some of that fragile thin bone up there.  Even after the splint is out, my parents and surgeon have advised me against doing anything that may put my jaw in danger.  The last thing I want is for this surgery to grant me more limitations.  Hopefully in time, jaw surgery will not always sit uncomfortably at the back of my mind!

4 comments:

  1. I really liked your post today. I've been following your blog since you posted your 4 week video on YouTube. I was mainly just watching videos on YouTube about the surgery, but once I found your blog it convinced me that I should do a blog as well about my experience instead of just doing videos when the time comes, so thank you for that. There is so much more to the experience then just the results of the surgery. I hope your recovery continues to go well. I look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Esmeralda thank you so much! It's amazing to hear that my blog has helped someone out! I would love to follow you as well- what is the name of your blog/YouTube channel?

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Of course! My blog is ¡Ay mami, my jaw! and my YouTube channel is YayasJaw, but I haven't posted any videos yet, just waiting for my next appointment with my oral surgeon so that I have more info.

      Delete