Monday, July 9, 2012

Day 24: Syringes On Syringes On Syringes

If you've ever wondered how I've been feeding myself for the past three weeks, it basically looks like this:

Enjoying some fruit juice!

As I've stated in other posts, the only spaces that food/drink can get through my fixed jaws are the small gaps behind my teeth.  Therefore, I need to have long rubber attachments on my syringes so that I can get back that far! 

Dissembled syringes everywhere.

I am so fervently hoping that I will get looser bands on my teeth at my appointment Friday-- it would be amazing to start to try and fit small bits of real food in!  Liquid just doesn't hit the spot.

4 comments:

  1. I really don't understand why some people have to be banded shut and others only have.. maybe two bands. I was fully expecting my surgeon to tell me I'd be eating out of a syringe and that I would be banded shut, but I'm only going to have one band on each side of my mouth! In the back. They told me they weren't even going to give me syringes. I have to drink from a cup first thing. It makes no sense! Anyways. I definitely hope you get looser bands. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know if you are undergoing a single-piece or two piece LeFort? Because mine was a two-piece, I guess it was more unstable and therefore required more bands. I was told my jaw bones are also thinner, so I have to stay in fixation longer rather than to undergo the risk of my palate collapsing. I also suspect that my surgeon is somewhat of a perfectionist- I don't think I've read any other blog where anyone is in fixation as long as I have been/will be! I hope so too!

      Delete
    2. Ah, that woulddd explain why some people would be banded more/longer. From what I understand, I'm just having a single-piece LeFort. It definitely seems like hes a perfectionist judging the length of your fixation, but at least your in good careful hands!

      Delete
  2. My surgery is double jaw and the surgeons explained that wiring/ banding is based upon where the cuts in the bones are made and if they can put in screws and plates. My lower jaw surgery is the IVRO and the bone will be cut where it starts to become vertical and they will recess my jaw. They can't put plates back there, so I'll be wired shut for 4-6 weeks until the bone heals. The BSSO lower jaw surgery only requires banding, but there is more of a chance of permanent loss of sensation and it is used to move the jaw forward

    ReplyDelete