Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Day 18: Opinions From Family

Because it's the Fourth of July season, today I went to go visit family at the beachhouse they rent out every year.  It was the first time they had seen me since surgery, so I got some fresh opinions on the changes in my appearance!

My baby cousin- just look at this little guy!

I got mixed reviews -  some say they only see a slight change, and others said, "Wow, you look so DIFFERENT!" Ideally, I would like people to see a little change, but I want to be recognizable!  My family also led a discussion on my nose and speculated on its origins. ("The tip is definitely like Sally's nose.  Or Chris', but smaller.  Definitely a Curtis nose.")  In general though, they responded positively to the change.  I'm hoping others will do the same!  I'm holding off forming a definite opinion on how I look until the swelling is totally down and I'm able to see my face animate a bit more.  But I'm pretty sure I'm going to be happy with it!
Tomorrow's the Fourth of July, and unfortunately I am pretty limited given I am rounding out my third week of being unable to talk or eat solid food.  Because talking and eating (as well as drinking) are the staples of this holiday, I don't think I'm really going to celebrate this year.  Which sucks of course, but there's really nothing I can do about it.  My cousin suggested pumping sweet tea-flavored vodka into my syringe to try and make me feel better, but it's just not the same.  That's another thing about this surgery-- its full of sacrifices!  Just hoping all of this will be worth it in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment