Sunday, July 15, 2012

Day 30: New Obstacles

Eating has proved to be equally, if not more, of a challenge now that the bands are removed.  Liquids are infinitely easier to consume, but I am desperate to graduate to more normal foods.  Unfortunately, attempting to eat solids is excruciating.  I tried scrambled eggs this morning, and due to the limited movement of my jaw, could only scoop in tiny pieces at a time with a spoon.  The process took ages: I felt like that Buddhist prince who tried to achieve nirvana by eating a grain of rice per day!
I was successful with a Cup of Noodles though, which was amazing.  However, the way I ate felt disgusting: it was a slobbery display in which I used my tongue to maneuver the noodles into my mouth then mashed them around in an attempt to chew.  Regardless, I ate those noodles. And did not have to puree them.  YES.  Also whenever I'm hungry, the image of a syringe pops into my brain and I constantly have to remind myself that I am done with those horrible things for good!

Now that my mouth is gaining more feeling bit by bit, the pain of extended talking is near unbearable due to the thick metal wires under my gums that stick the inside of my cheeks and lips.  My tongue, which has finally escaped from its prison, can now feel the tender, torn flesh.  I layered dental wax on the worst offenders, but the wires seem to be sticking out everywhere.  Sometimes a lip gets caught while talking and-- OUCH.  Not a pleasant experience.  The stitches under my upper lip are also coming out, which I asked my surgeon about.  His response was dismissive-- apparently they are supposed to dissolve?

Here's a close up of what's going on in there (kinda gross, sorry!): 

The white stuff is wax, don't worry!

The splint is that clear plastic thing that fits over my upper teeth-- it extends all the way back like a retainer.  According to the surgeon, the epoxied brackets were not strong enough to hold my jaw in place during surgery, so he fashioned the wires on the bottom around my teeth and under my gums.  Those things are the worst.  

I'm not sure if it's evident from this picture, but my bite is now perfect!  Once all of that crazy metal is removed, my teeth will fit together quite nicely.  At this I am so relieved-- this lengthy ordeal is proving to be worth it.

4 comments:

  1. woahhh that is a lot of wire and hooks:( you poor thing!! I'm sure everything will start to feel a lot nicer once the hooks and your splint is removed!:) xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooouch! That looks very painful, poor you :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh!!! That is a hell of a lot of metal in your mouth, I'm not surprised you're finding it painful to talk. Good going for trying though, I think would just wimp out and keep my mouth shut till they were removed.

    How come you have had to have all the extra wires put in, what do they do? (apart from hurt your poor mouth!) Hope you don't mind me asking!? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know it sucks! Natasha-- my surgeon didn't trust the brackets to hold my bite together during surgery so he wrapped those wires around my teeth to hold everything in place. The ones on the top hold the splint in and the ones on the bottom now have no function at all! (Other than to torture me!) I will get all of those out in a month along with the splint!

    ReplyDelete