Monday, July 23, 2012

Day 38: Communication Issues

Meeting new people used to be one of my favorite activities: I loved taking the opportunity to learn another's perspective and begin to build a relationship with a potential friend.  Now I dread it.  A new intern arrived at work today and greeted me with a friendly smile, which I returned with my metallic one.  I was conscious of choking on my words as I introduced myself through my splint.  I hastily explained that I had just had jaw surgery, and she considerately asked about the details.  But as the day went on, she could not for the life of her understand me.  In one instance I had to say the word "music" three or four times before she got what I was trying to say-- how embarrassing!  Even though I can talk again, communication is still a major issue.  Your mouth is just the worst place to have tampered with!  I could never be a dentist.

I'm thinking about making another YouTube video where I say funny words that are difficult to say with my splint.  Maybe sometime if I'm bored enough!

2 comments:

  1. Awww Allie hunny, I really feel for you. It must be horrible not being able to talk easily but don't be too hard on yourself and don't forget that you are still recovering.

    It is a huge surgery to have, you've had you're jaw broken and moved around and re set! what if that surgery was on your leg, you wouldn't be out running down the street a month on would you, don't be so hard on yourself, you're doing brilliantly.

    You have taken a huge step going back to work particularly when you have to talk to people a lot to do your job, and I think you are very brave and an inspiration to be tackling the task of talking and returning to work so soon.

    Stay positive and when that dreaded splint is removed you could have a splint smash up party and celebrate being able to talk easily again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Natasha! I can't wait to get rid of this horrible splint!

      Delete