Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Day 46: Why Does Time Move So Slowly?

Ate a bag of chips today-- it was probably the wrong thing to do but felt SO right.  I'm beginning to just ignore all the stigma that accompanies this splint situation and get on with my life.  Nevertheless, I still hate the thing.  The other jaw bloggers I follow appear to have their splints removed at two weeks, a month, or even six weeks.  But two months?  It seems grossly overly-cautious to me.  Though I understand that my surgeon strives for perfection, I always question his decision to keep my splint in this long.  The only acceptable justification is that I have thin jaw bones, but even then I feel as though it has been more than long enough.  I realize that I've been repeating myself constantly about this, but I just can't help myself!

Tonight I had coffee with a friend I hadn't seen all summer and he didn't look twice at the thing-- he assured me that it looked like braces and that he didn't care about it in the slightest.  As we caught up, I nearly forgot that I am a recovering patient.  I am slowly realizing how fruitless it is to be so self-conscious: it's temporary pain in exchange for greater lifelong happiness!  Also, this is the funniest thing ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment