Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Day 60: NO. MORE. SPLINT!!!!!!!

The highly anticipated day has FINALLY come!  Today it was an early morning and long trip up to the surgery center for the long-awaited splint removal.  It felt like going into surgery all over again: mindlessly filling out forms, sitting impatiently in the waiting room, bracing myself for the IV.  While the attending nurse poked the needle around in my vein trying to get the thing started, I cried out as pains shot up my arm and shoulder.  For some infuriating reason, she was unable to start the IV.  Upon calling the surgeon, he started it without any issues in the other arm-- now they're both sore!  While he prepped the equipment, I inquired one last time about the anesthesia.  Nowhere, on the internet or elsewhere, have I heard of sedation being a requirement for splint removal-- why me?  His response was that the patient should not have to suffer so much additional pain for a voluntary surgery.  I concluded that it was probably for the best as I slipped into nothingness.

I woke up feeling positively drunk.  Though I don't remember much of what I said, I do remember being conscious of my lips feeling numb and swollen.  The local anesthetic I was given in addition to sedation was to incapacitate me in this fashion for a few hours.  I was dizzy, but thankfully not nauseous, as I was wheeled to the car.

On the trip back, I was overcome with incredible exhaustion.  Nevertheless, I was eager to examine my splintless mouth.  I was slightly alarmed as my tongue ran over the massive sores that had manifested themselves on the inside of my mouth where the splint had once been.  The thick wires left bloody gaps in my gums as well.  It is wonderful to feel the bottom of my teeth again, though they have browned a bit in color from being in captivity for so long.

FREE TEETH!

It's difficult to see from this picture but that spot in between my teeth on the left once held a massive wire and will not stop bleeding!  There was so much blood when I tried to brush, it was as if someone punched me in the face.

I took this picture in the car after surgery where I look like death:

I know I know, I was just SO tired from the anesthesia!  But I wanted to see how the splint removal affected my face dynamic.  I see a significant difference around my lip area-- what used to look like noticeable swelling caused by the wires has now flattened into a much more appealing facial structure.  I'm so happy about this!  No more Whoville face.

When the swelling in my lips went down, I took a closer look at my teeth.  I'm definitely a little worried that my teeth largely are not touching anymore.  When I bite down, there is significant space separating my upper and lower molars.  This may be due to the braces, but I will ask my orthodontist at my appointment tomorrow just to make sure.  I sincerely hope nothing has gone wrong due to my carelessness with not choosing soft foods to eat!

It is SO MUCH EASIER to talk.  I feel like I've had a huge weight lifted out of my mouth!  I'll have to make another video soon.  Eating is a different story however-- I have to be extra careful now without the splint to hold everything in place.  Though my little mouth is sore and bloody, it has never been happier since surgery!  Tomorrow I'll post better pictures and such.  Today I was so exhausted that the moment I got home I ran to bed and slept solidly for almost three hours!  So tired, but good day. :)


6 comments:

  1. HOORAAYYYYY!!:) It must feel so good to be free of the massive piece of plastic. Wooo I'm so glad you're finlly rid of it! It's crazy how long they made you have it and I can't believe you had to be put to sleep to have it taken out! How unusual! Your teeth look great:) I'm sure when you next see your orthodontist she'll adjust things so that your bite closes perfectly, but it looks pretty much perfect already:D yayyy! xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your splint removal! Try not to worry too much about your molars not touching, I remember reading a blog once saying that sometimes the back molars don't touch, because it's more important that the rest of your teeth do, and pushing for the molars to touch might have a negative effect on the rest of your teeth. This might not be the case with you, but just thought I'd share :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU'RE FREE! It's awesome to have been able to watch you come so far after surgery. I don't think I would have made it this long with all of that in my mouth. I won't have any room to complain whenever I have my surgery, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bite looks fantastic! I can't imaging you will need to be in braces very long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! What a huge step forward towards full recovery! I like your surgeon's explanation for the anesthesia - he sounds like a nice guy!
    I'm sure it will be even more amazing once the cuts and such are all healed. Enjoy it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you all for the kind words! :) and yes I am SO happy to be free of that thing!!!

    ReplyDelete