Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Day 53: Soreness

I think I've been a little too adventurous with food.  I tried to eat a bag of chips today and nearly choked to death!  My mouth has been very sore from the strains of normal life-- I've been out with friends every day for the past week or so and desperate to feel normal again, I haven't used any discretion when choosing food.  Sandwiches, tacos, whatever it is I pretend that the splint doesn't exist and try to chew.  Even when not eating, I unthinkingly clamp down on the splint and push at it with my tongue as if in an attempt to destroy this foreign body in my mouth.  This has resulted in a dull pain in my upper jaw.  The surgeon also warned that I may have to return to soft foods after the splint comes out-- it sounds like it will prove to be a painful procedure.  As much as the thought of going under anesthesia again makes me uneasy, I still can't wait to be rid of this thing.  One more week!

2 comments:

  1. You have to go under anesthesia to have your splint taken out? Is that typical?
    You will be okay! You've come so far, and you're so close to being done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how typical it is but yes I do :( The surgeon said that removing all of the wires under my gums without anesthesia would be too painful. Thank you, I hope so!

      Delete