Saturday, August 11, 2012

Day 56: Anesthesia For Splint Removal

THREE DAYS until splint freedom.  Apparently, going under anesthesia for splint removal isn't entirely that common among other jaw surgery patients, so I thought I'd describe the process a little.  I've not been allowed to take pain medication for the past week or so which has intensified the pain of my ripped lips, ugh!  Also, I can't eat or drink anything for several hours before the procedure-- it's like going into surgery all over again.  It should take less than a half hour and my mouth is expected to be very sore afterwards.  (I hope I don't have to revert to liquids again!)  The reason my surgeon decided that I need sedation plainly is that the pain of removal without it would be near unbearable.  In addition to the splint, he has to remove the wires under my gums and around my teeth that held everything in place during surgery.  There may be a lot of blood! But it will all be so incredibly worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment