Friday, August 17, 2012

Day 62: Full Tilt

I awoke this morning with significant pain in my neck and jaw.  Those little rubber bands can really pack a punch!  Frustrated at the reality of additional orthodontics, I ditched the little thing for the remainder of the day.  As it progressed, I was alarmed at how much I could feel the obliquity in my jaw.  When I bit down, my teeth clamped down on the right side and remained apart on the left.  This tilting scares me-- I was under the impression that once the splint came out, the teeth were supposed to be in the perfect position.  I thought that braces were going to be largely unnecessary, as I believed the surgery should serve as a cure-all for everything teeth and jaw related.  Why else would I endure all this to get it?  Realizing that this is not the case is all the more exasperating, even though I know the worst is behind me.
Wearing the rubber band now, I am conscious of it training my bite.  As reluctant as I am to wear it during the day, I suppose it's necessary.  Ugh--  Sometimes it feels like there is no end to this.  I often feel as though if I had fully understood the frustration, time, patience, pain, and difficulty involved I would not have agreed to surgery.  Being on the younger side of surgery patients, I may have not yet learned to accept circumstances the way many older people do.  I am constantly dissatisfied.  Most of my frustration stems from a feeling of powerlessness at the inability to somehow speed up this process.  It's certainly a learning experience!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Allie,

    I am only 6 month into braces and I can fully relate to your frustration regarding the extreme patience this process demands of us.

    I will be having double jaw surgery sometime in early 2013, to correct a slight underbite/crossbite. It is mainly frustrating because I am finishing my undergrad and contemplating graduate school applications.

    Nonetheless, stay positive, because you have successfully gotten your surgery out of the way at a young age. It is not uncommon for people post surgery to need extensive orthodontic work to perfect their bite (particularly molars not touching), so have faith :]

    Besides that, thank you for your blog, I check it from time to time and find it very encouraging and your results are exceptional. You were a very pretty girl before, and now you are a pretty girl with a bite that is well on it's way to being perfected :]

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean! Thank you so much for your kind words and I'm so glad you found my blog helpful! :) This is definitely a taxing process and there just never seems to be a good time for it but it is temporary pain for long-term happiness! I wish you the best of luck with your orthodontics and surgery and hope that you start a blog so I can follow you! :)

      Delete