Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Day 11: Party In My Mouth!

There is a lot of crap in my mouth!  Today, I took a trip out to the orthodontist to fix a persistent poky wire that had split open my lip.  As the dental assistant attempted to bend it, I was given the opportunity to have a good look at my teeth through the hand mirror that she gave me.  There are wires in and out and around my gums sticking out every which way like a diverse little forest of metal and plastic.  Due to the numerous issues that stem from surgery, I largely ignored the bits of wire that poked at the inside of my mouth.  Now that things have more or less stabilized, I am beginning to be aware of all of the cuts produced by the metal.  My cheeks are torn up inside!  Orthodontic wax is currently acting as a bandaid solution.



 It's a party in my mouth-- there are teeth under all of that I swear!


 My friend came over tonight to watch Pretty Little Liars (my guilty pleasure!)-- I am getting much better at communicating non-verbally!  My surgeon said that at this stage most people can talk, albeit muffled with their mouth closed, but I have tried and it really is impossible with the massive plastic splint.  The splint sits in my mouth separating my upper and lower jaw, solid except for a hole which allows my tongue to touch the roof of my mouth.  My parents keep encouraging me to speak, but it just sounds like I am drowning and it has been much easier to remain silent.

The friend that came over told me she doesn't see any swelling, that I look normal now.  I definitely think there is some poof to lose, but this is probably more or less what I am going to look like.  Am I happy with it?  Not sure yet.  I do love my side profile: it's finally what a normal and balanced profile should be.  What I am concerned with is how the procedure affected my nose.  It has always been slightly crooked due to my deviated septum, but I feel as though the defect has been made more noticeable now.  The base has also widened and the tip has turned up, which I'm not sure I'm happy with-- maybe I'm just being nitpicky.  I'll make a final statement once I see what my smile looks like!

























Can't wait to finally close in on week two!

1 comment: